If you want to increase your chance of successfully attracting a swarm, you can add an attractant to your bait hive. Lemongrass is very similar to the queen bee’s scent. Honeybees find the mixture of lemongrass and beeswax irresistible.
Lemongrass Swarm Lure Recipe
Yield: 3 ounces
- 2 tablespoons beeswax
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 40 drops (2 milliliters) lemongrass essential oil
- Make a double boiler using a tin can. Melt the beeswax and olive oil together in the can, over medium heat. Remove from the heat.
- Add the lemongrass essential oil. Stir the mixture while it cools, just until it begins to thicken. Pour into a 4-ounce tin. Allow the lure to cool.
- Smear one tablespoon of the swarm lure at the back of the hive box.
- Set the hive box in the shade, raised above the ground where it is dry.
- Wait for the bees to swarm. You just might get lucky