By Jessica Ress
Photo by Fotolia/Dessie
Make this natural moisturizing body wash for a relaxing home spa day.
Moisture from coconut oil, invigorating antibacterial properties from honey, and a tangy touch of citrus make this body wash unique. You will have a home spa day with every shower when you use this honey-sweet, sunshine scented moisturizing body wash.
Honey Coconut Body Wash Recipe
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin coconut oil
- 1/2 cup raw honey
- 20 drops sweet orange essential oil
- 10 drops lemon essential oil
- 6 drops chamomile essential oil
- 1 cup unscented liquid castile soap
- Fill the bottom of a double boiler with water and put it on the stovetop over medium heat. Once it reaches a boil, reduce heat to simmer.
- Place coconut oil in the top and cover. Simmer until it’s melted, stirring occasionally, about 1 minute. To preserve the beneficial botanicals, do not overheat. Remove from heat; take the top pan off the double boiler and wipe it dry with a towel.
- Put honey into a mixing bowl and add melted coconut oil, using a rubber spatula to get the remainder out of the pan. Whisk ingredients together for a minute, then add essential oils and whisk to blend.
- Finally, add castile soap, whisking gently to create a uniform liquid. Do not overwhisk, as this activates the soap bubbles.
- Carefully funnel mixture into a 16-ounce bottle with a tight-fitting lid. Label with contents and date; use within a year.
- To use, apply to damp skin in small, upward motions. Rinse well. Makes 16 ounces.
Learn more about using honey in beauty products in Bee-Friendly Beauty Tips. http://www.motherearthliving.com/health-and-wellness/natural-beauty/bee-friendly-beauty-tips-zm0z14sozpit.aspx
Adapted with permission from 100 Organic Skincare Recipes by Jessica Ress. http://www.motherearthliving.com/shopping/detail.aspx?itemnumber=7071