Much of the garden furniture today is made of plastic rather than wood. If you are lucky enough to have a set of old-fashioned wicker or bent willow garden furniture, you can use this Beeswax Sealant Recipe for to keep it in top shape.
Yield: 1 12-ounce jar
- 1/2 cup beeswax
- 1/2 cup grapeseed oil
- 1/2 cup gum turpentine
- Make a double boiler using a tin can. Add the beeswax and grape seed oil to the can. Melt over medium heat. Remove the pan from the heat.
- Stir in the gum turpentine and continue stirring until a smooth paste forms.
- Pour into a wide mouth pint jar with a tight-fitting lid.
- Apply this mixture with a soft cloth to the clean, dry surface of your wicker garden furniture. Be sure to get into the crevices between the wicker-work to form a protective seal.
- Allow the mixture to dry overnight. Reapply in 24 hours. Buff with a dry, lint-free cloth to remove any excess wax mixture.
The Beeswax Workshop by Chris Dalziel Lewis (Ulysses Press, 2016) transforms one of your hive’s most versatile products into non-toxic and useful household products.