These beeswax tarts replace chemical room fresheners, promoting healthier indoor air. These are useful in the kitchen to remove dank odors without toxic chemicals. Each beeswax tart is about 1-1/2 ounces. This project includes three homey scents: citrus, calm, and alert.
Citrus Beeswax Tarts Recipe
Yield: 5 beeswax tarts
- 1/2 cup beeswax
- 1/2 cup cocoa butter
- 1/2 teaspoon sweet orange essential oil
- 1 teaspoon bergamot essential oil
- 1 teaspoon lemon verbena essential oil
- Make a double boiler with a glass measuring cup. Place beeswax and cocoa butter in the cup. Melt them together over medium heat. Once the wax has melted, stir and add the essential oils.
- Prepare molds. If you are using silicone molds, the wax tarts will pop out. If you are using a plastic mold, apply silicone mold release spray to the mold before you fill it with the beeswax mixture. Pour the mixture into the mold and allow it to harden at room temperature.
- Remove the wax tarts from the mold. Store in a jar with a tight-fitting lid to preserve the fragrance.
- Place the wax tart into the top of an essential oil candle diffuser. Light a tea light candle below the reservoir. As the wax in the reservoir melts, it will release its scent. You can refresh the scent of the wax tart by adding more essential oils to the reservoir when the fragrance dims. The wax tart can be reused over and over.
- When you are ready to clean the reservoir, simply warm the dish and wipe out the used wax. The wax mixture can be reused in other applications if desired. There is no waste.
Follow the instructions for the above recipe, but substitute with the following essential oils.
- 1 teaspoon lavender essential oil
- 1/2 teaspoon marjoram essential oil
- 1/2 teaspoon rosemary essential oil
- 1 teaspoon peppermint essential oil
- 1 teaspoon rosemary essential oil
- 1/2 teaspoon eucalyptus essential oil
The Beeswax Workshop by Chris Dalziel Lewis (Ulysses Press, 2016) transforms one of your hive’s most versatile products into non-toxic and useful household products.