If you want to increase your chance of successfully attracting a swarm, you can add an attractant to your bait hive. Lemongrass is very similar to the queen bee’s scent. Honeybees find the mixture of lemongrass and beeswax irresistible.
Yield: 3 ounces
- 2 tablespoons beeswax
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 40 drops (2 milliliters) lemongrass essential oil
- Make a double boiler using a tin can. Melt the beeswax and olive oil together in the can, over medium heat. Remove from the heat.
- Add the lemongrass essential oil. Stir the mixture while it cools, just until it begins to thicken. Pour into a 4-ounce tin. Allow the lure to cool.
- Smear 1 tablespoon of the swarm lure at the back of the hive box.
- Set the hive box in the shade, raised above the ground where it is dry.
Wait for the bees to swarm. You just might get lucky